Wednesday, July 9, 2008

bittersweet departure

It is our final day in China. A large part of our group left early this morning and about 7 other families remain until Friday. We awoke to rain this morning, but the weather has cleared some. Xiao Xiao is napping and I am beginning to organize and pack. We have one final appointment, the Oath Ceremony, at the US Consulate, this afternoon. This evening we will have our final meal in China with the other families, and will say our goodbyes to them. Saying goodbye to China, though, is much more difficult. It is not that I want to stay. On the contrary, I can't wait to get back to the place and the people that I call home. As a Dad, though, it is a very bittersweet time, as I am reminded, once again, just what the airport represents to my daughter. I have already written about this, so I won't rehash it (see "Difficult day for me", 7/3/08), except to say that to her it will be just another new experience, much like the past few weeks have been. To me, though, it is much more. When she is old enough to begin to understand the journey that brought her to our family, I hope that this journal will help her to understand some of the emotions that we, her parents, felt, as well as help her process her own emotions.

And so I say farewell and thank-you to China-- a land that has given us a precious gift!

To those of you following this blog, thank-you for your interest and your encouraging words. I am new to blogging, but it was a neat experience. My motive for keeping this journal was two-fold: to keep my family at home involved in each day, and to keep a journal to share with my daughter. I hope, also, that in some small way I may have helped to increase understanding of, and interest in adoption. I will plan to post a few updates of life for Lily (Xiao Xiao) in America, but will probably then close it down, and possibly begin a more general family blog-- we'll see.

Jen, Dylan, and Zachary-- I love you and I miss you guys lots. I can't wait to get home! AMERICA, here we come!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff and I want to thank you for sharing this journey with us all. It has been so eye opening and really brought tears to my eyes so many times. Our continued prayers are with you all. Keep up the blogging, we're excited to see more of the Derry kids and less eels and snakes!

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
We'll be praying for a safe trip home. Look forward to seeing you and Lily (Xiao Xiao).
Love,
Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

You should be in the air now. We are praying that Lily and you are able to rest a little in the planes and are able to enjoy the excitement of her first plane trip. We look forward to welcoming you home and meeting Lily! :)

Love,
David and Laurel, John and Rose

Anonymous said...

Thank you once again for keeping us updated along your journey. We will pray for your safe return home and continue to pray for Lily as she starts a new chapter in her life! We can't wait to meet her!

Love,
Jody, Mike, Andrew, Jake & Allie

Priscilla said...

Thanks for letting us tag along on your journey. I enjoyed your posts and pictures a lot. Xiao Xiao looks and sounds like a sweetie! I'm sure it must have been difficult for Jen to stay home and miss the experience of the trip. I mentioned your trip to my DH who I could NEVER picture making a trip like that by himself, let alone having the responsibility of caring for a little girl. He was like, NO WAY!! You're a very brave guy!
... from another Shenzhen family.