The Crafts family: Norbert, Debbie, and Lily Grace. One of the two other families from our group that has been in Guangzhou the same time as Xiao Xiao and I. Our daughters are the same age and we have been spending quite a bit of time with them. I really enjoy their company and am thankful they were here for these 2 weeks in Guangzhou.
The following are some pictures of typical apartment buildings, 3 in Guangzhou and 2 in Beijing. There are different sizes and some newer and some very old. Most do not look very elaborate. In fact, most look quite depressing. But, they are everywhere! No single family homes that I see. Just apartments. Most with laundry hanging anywhere it can hang. I don't know how it dries, the humidity is stifling. It's really hard to capture the city on camera. These pictures were taken from the window of a bus.
...and then there is the traffic. Again, pictures cannot capture it. Traffic in China is nearly a contact sport. In the cities there are cars, buses, trucks, motorcycles, scooters, bicycles and pedestrians everywhere-- mostly sharing the same roadways. There do not appear to be many rules, and if there are, I rarely see authorities bothering to enforce any of them. They change lanes and pass with just inches between vehicles-- literally! They pull out in front of each other, make U-turns everywhere, and make turns in either direction from just about any lane. Lane markers are often ignored and they make as many lanes as a space will fit. They are not big on seatbelts and I think car seats are non-existent. Kids ride in laps, or wherever, and pretty much as many passengers as you can fit in is OK. There are numerous bottle necks throughout the city where many lanes merge and the drivers are highly competitive. I once saw the driver of our mini-bus hold a full-sized city bus at bay with just his passenger side mirror. It was one such bottle neck and the larger bus was inches from a line of vehicles on his right, and close to the side of our bus on his left. The larger bus was trying to pull ahead of ours, with the intent of squeezing in front. Our driver strategically moved over to what looked like close enough to squash a bug, and the driver's mirror on the larger bus would not fit past the passenger mirror on our bus. Our driver held the larger bus until he cried "uncle" and backed off. The funny thing, though, is that I never really see angry drivers. They compete, cut each other off, and honk, but are fairly relaxed about it and it all appears to be just a big friendly competition. Maybe it's not, but that's how it appears. The other thing I notice is that they must be very skilled at this style of driving, because I see what seems like few accidents per number of vehicles. It sure doesn't look like American roadways, that's for sure.
Bicycles are used in many ways in China. If gas prices keep climbing, I may have to get one of these for Home Depot runs!















3 comments:
Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I don't know you or your family but have so enjoyed reading your blog for the past few days (your wife provided the link in RQ). Your honesty speaks to the heart of many, I'm sure, and brings back so many memories and feelings for all of us.
God Bless,
A mommy of three in Canada in line for #2 from China
Jeff,
we have enjoyed your blogs all week and reading your experiences in bonding with your daughter; She is as cute as can be. Thank you for being so candid with your thoughts and fears, and letting us share in your experience. May God continue to bless your time with her in China and may he ease her transition when she comes home. Our kids are excited to meet her and welcome her. What a blessing your family has received!
Love,
The Swain Family
You don't know us, but I just had to say how much I am enjoying following your trip. The last post, "beginnings and endings" was especially beautiful. We've been waiting for 2 older girls (4 and 5) in Vietnam for over a year now, and with the country program closing we may not ever get them home. We're still hoping we can get them somehow, and also hope to adopt a China 'waiting child' someday too. Your daughter is gorgeous and amazing. Congratulations on your new family.
Jen
Post a Comment