Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Lord's Day

This morning our group attended the Chinese-English service at the Shamian Christ Church. It is my understanding that worship is less restricted in Guangzhou, than in Beijing. Praise songs and hymns were sung individually in English and Chinese. The scripture reading was John 3:16 and was read in both Chinese and English. The minister delivered the sermon on Christ's love in Chinese, with a woman translating into English. In all honesty, I received very little from the minister's message, but I received much from the experience, as a whole. It was very moving to sing praise to my Lord, Jesus Christ, in the midst of a land that is known for restrictions of such, and it was a beautiful blessing to listen as my Chinese brothers and sisters sang praise to our Lord in my daughter's language.


Perhaps the most meaningful to me, though, was simply the significance of the day for my daughter and I. My faith in Christ is central to my life, and it is my hope that my children will choose to follow Christ, as well. It is safe to assume that Xiao Xiao has never attended a Christian church service, and I was honored to share that first with her. I do not know how much of it registered with her, but, nonetheless, it was another opportunity to bridge the communication barrier between father and daughter. While I sang praise in my language, she was able to hear and understand praise in her language. The earliest Bible scripture that I remember from childhood is John 3:16, and how fitting that it was the scripture reading for my daughter's first day in church. As it was being read in Chinese, I held her tightly, and hoped that the words would find lodging in her heart, and that it would be the start of a spiritual journey that would someday lead her to faith in Christ.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." --John 3:16

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

This was the most beautiful post about a church experience in China that I've ever read! What a wonderful experience for you all. As I was reading it, I was thinking of Brother Yun's book, The Heavenly Man. If you haven't read it yet, I highly highly recommend it. It's really been a great complement to all the other Chinese culture and adoption reading I've done in this long journey!