I'll bet you're wondering how those topics go together, right? Well, today we were scheduled, at least ladies were, to go to a wholesale pearl market in Guangzhou. Many have commented that it must be tough travelling as a "solo Dad" on a China adoption trip. Yes, it has had it's challenges, but really has not been that bad. However, I don't enjoy the shopping responsibility! I don't enjoy shopping; I don't enjoy bartering; and I'm mathematically challenged, so I have a hard time buying in Yuan, translating to dollars, and knowing if I got a good deal, or got hosed. Although my wife is also not a big shopper, she did send me to China with "the list"! She informed me that it was my responsibility to bring home some items that would represent my daughter's homeland, and "the list" has suggested items. The one item that she strongly recommended was pearls-- not for herself, but for
Xiao Xiao when she gets older, possibly for her wedding.
And so, I, having absolutely no knowledge of pearls, boarded a bus of mostly ladies (and a few men who tagged along, but let their wives shop) and headed for the mall. Very overwhelming. So many choices! Size, color, quality, price... way out of my league! My strategy was to let some of the ladies shop first, see what they chose, and copy! I found several ladies shopping in a price range that I was comfortable with, narrowed it down to one mom who had a strand and a price I liked, and told the clerk, "I want the same as she has!" I then even got brave and picked out something for my wife. She said not to worry about getting her something, but several of the ladies translated that for me! Thanks for your help, ladies. I survived and I think she'll be proud.
Xiao Xiao, when we someday give you these pearls, I hope you appreciate Daddy's effort!

these were but a few of the thousands, probably millions, to choose from!
We left there and went to an embroidery store and a store that sold CD's and DVD's. We were out long enough that Xiao Xiao started to squirm in her stroller in such a way that told me that I needed to find a "toilet", as the Chinese call them, very soon. We have not developed an advanced warning system for this yet, so I usually have little time. I asked our guide, and she directed me back to the mall building where we shopped for pearls. I raced the stroller back into the mall and followed the "toilet" signs to a dim hallway with a not-so-clean men's room. I grabbed her from the stroller and raced inside, hoping to beat the clock-- I could tell I had precious little time. To my horror, I found a Chinaman sitting in EVERY stall, and it did not appear that any were vacating soon enough to avoid the need for the dry clothes I always pack. Sooooo, I eyed.. you guessed it... the urinals... and, based on the odor of the room, I figured if she couldn't hit it, she wouldn't be the first! She's used toilets... she's used squatty's... she was undaunted by the urinal! Mission accomplished!
So, there you have it! Pearls and urinals... just another adventurous day in the life of a solo Dad and daughter in China!

large shopping area, Guangzhou, just outside the mall
7 comments:
Glad to hear that you got the pearls and urinals all worked out today.
Our family travels in 10 days to pick up our daughter. I have been enjoying your posts. You are an amazing writer. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
What an adventure! What a great dad!
Wow...how fun for you and what a memory! Being a Dad to a little girl isn't quite the same as being a Dad to little boys is it? It sounds like you're going to make a great one! And by the way, good call on the gift for Jen!!
Jody & Mike
you really are a great dad...buying pearls AND being so resourceful in the "potty" area! Way to go dad!!!
I was browsing through RQ, landed here on this blog, started reading the entries, and I just have to say 'awwwwwwwwwwwwwww' to this post. And not necessarily because of the sweet little daughter.
My husband had to travel without me too ... to China to pick up our own little one. I'm prone to sinus/ear/throat problems, as well as mild asthma, so I stayed home and husband traveled with our daughter's godfather. Two guys, in China, neither of them ever having been a father before, picking up a nine-month old baby. But man, were they troopers, and I'm just loving these posts of another Daddy making the trip like this.
Hubby went through the same type of thing regarding the shopping issues. And as for the bathrooms, well, he goes through that now, when he takes our little one out for a daddy/daughter afternoon. She's five now, so he's been going through the same 'public bathroom' dilemmas.
***Hats off***, to all the men who travel like this, tackling it without their wives alongside. I just love reading these entries. :)
Oh, and I just saw your entry below, about attending church in China. I don't think hubby did while they were over there, but you have so much fun coming, once you're home. This past Father's Day, my husband lucked out and was the lesson reader at our church. Our daughter had memorized the last sentence of the lesson, so not only could he take her up to the podium with him on Father's Day, but he let her recite the last sentence of the reading. You're family is just going to have so many good years coming. I'm just smiling like a fool. :)
-- walkweb from RQ
We've enjoyed your posts. Jacob and Andrew were telling me about Pearls and Urinals, so I had to check it out. We hope your trip home will be uneventful. It won't be long now! What a great experience and one you'll never forget. Hope to see you soon.
Charles & Jean
Post a Comment