Here is just another collection of pictures and brief comments. Everyone loves pictures!
Snakes anyone?
Maybe a nice eel for you?
Snakes and eels-- just some of the fresh items for sale in the lobby area of the Cantonese restaurant in which we ate the other night. Also featured were various kinds of fish, sand worms, water beetles, and frogs-- all live, of course. I don't think they served any of this, but if they did, it was delicious!This morning and early afternoon we visited a museum and the botanical gardens in Guangzhou. The gardens were beautiful, but the humidity makes it hard to enjoy activities outdoors. My daughter was not feeling very photogenic, and who can blame her-- it was close to lunch and nap time, and very hot and sticky.
Outside the museum
Botanical gardens
This guy didn't mind the heat
Not very happy at the botanical gardens. Xiao Xiao often often looks like a scruffy rag-a-muffin with hair in her eyes in these photos. Please know that I attempt to keep it out of her eyes, but she often pulls the barrettes out. She'll need a hair trim shortly after we get home, I think!
Next are just a few shots around Shamian Island. It is a unique and picturesque place, but many photo opportunities escaped, due to a toddler in tow!
View of the Pearl River from the White Swan Hotel
Guangzhou at night from the roof (pool) of the Victory Hotel
Many couples come to Shamain to have wedding photos taken. It is a pretty big business here, and groups of couples, like this one, walking around the island are a common site. Keep in mind, that I am usually dripping with sweat in just a pair of shorts and a t-shirt-- Imagine what it is like to be gussied up like this in Guangzhou heat!
One of the many courtyard gardens on Shamian Island. It's a nice place, but can I go home now?
Lunch in our room. To those of you reading this blog who are yet to travel, I can offer this advice. We packed lots of granola bars, instant oatmeal, etc. With my 3 year old, it worked wonderful to load up on breakfast at the hotel buffet, then just a light, quick lunch of instant oatmeal, granola bars (or Oreos, depending on how stressful the schedule was!). We then went out for a nice dinner in the evening. This saved us a lot of time, hassle, and money. It helped me get Xiao Xiao fed quickly and in the bed for a nap efficiently. Going out to lunch and dinner every day would have been a lot more stressful, and this girl needs her nap! She usually enjoyed our "picnics" on the floor!












4 comments:
Ooh man, I don't think I could eat in a restaurant that had live creepy, crawleys being sold in the lobby, yuck ~ but happy for you the food tasted good! It looks like a beautiful place. How awesome it will be to share these pictures with Xiao Xiao as she grows. I'm sure you're looking forward to getting back home and Xiao Xiao looks like she's ready too!
Jody & Mike
Glad as always to see more pictures! John always asks if there are any new ones. :) It does look like a beautiful place and I'm glad that you've made some memories and taken pictures to share with Xiao Xiao when she gets older. But I can understand why for you, there's no place like home! Soon it will be her home too and she will hopefully enjoy exploring all the new places here as well. We keep praying for plenty of rest and patience for you both especially as you prepare to fly home.
Denise sent me your blog information - and I'm so thankful! Your blog has brought tears to my eyes - it is such a beautiful and touching narrative of your family's experience and also a bold testimony of your family's faith and love for Christ. Lily is so blessed to have such a loving and Christ-centered family! You are all in our prayers!
Jeff,
I do not know how to put my feelings on paper in a foreign language (I am Dutch) but I will give it a try.
Your story has touched me, and my wife, family and many more, deeply. The way how you desribe your journey to your Lily, your feelings and adventures brings emotions, goose bumps and shivers. What a wonderfull cute little princess. We are currently waiting for our LOA for our own princess, Yenthe, who is 5 and waiting for us in Wuzhou. We can only hope that we will have such an experience as you have. Lily will be proud for the rest of her life having such an incredible dad, even though she probably does not understand everything yet.
Please keep writing, your pen work brings joy, hope and energy to many. Have a safe trip home, enjoy your family.
Kindest regards from Holland,
Rene
Post a Comment